The main temple of the Orthodox Church is the Holy Spirit Cathedral. It dates from the 17th century. The layout of the building is a three-nave basilica. The main and the medium naves are higher than the side ones and have their own window configuration. The relics sacred for the Orthodoxy are placed in this cathedral. Among them is the icon of the Blessed Virgin of Minsk.
The story of the appearance of the Blessed Virgin in Minsk is worth mentioning. In one of the raids against Kiev the invaders of the Tartar horde intruded into the church and attempted to tear the ornaments off the icons, throwing the sacred images then into the river. Among the icons there was that of the Blessed Virgin. Still, it didn't sink but went against the current of the Dnepr river. And then, in August of 1500 the canvas with the image of the Blessed Virgin appeared in the water of the Svisloch river. The icon became the protectress and patroness of Minsk against misery and evils. It is believed to be painted by the apostle Luke.
The Cathedral was heavily damaged in a fire in 1797, but was later fully renewed. In 1934 the cathedral was closed down.
During the Second World War, the Germans allowed the cathedral to function again, but after the war it was again closed down by the Soviets. In 1951, the cathedral's bell towers were intentionally destroyed by Soviet artillery and the building itself was given to the sports society.
In 1932 the church was closed down by the Soviet authorities, rebuilt into a cinema and was returned to the Catholic Church only in 1990. Since then it was renovated, and became an important centre of religious, cultural and social life.
Four bells are mounted in the towers. The first bell is the largest, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Budslov; the second one - to the Pope John Paul II, the third one - to the bishop Zigmunt Lozinsky and the last one, the smallest, - to Synod.